Skip to main content

It's Official: Marcus Stroman and Michael Hermosillo Sign With the Cubs






Last night, before my very eyes, I saw the Cubs actually sign the pitcher that since the beginning of the offseason I wanted them to get. I was pumped, not only because they signed him, but because Stroman himself was really excited. Now, I just can't wait to see him pitching in a Cubs jersey.

The official deal: 3-years, $71M. A pretty good steal, and pitcher you'll have until the young ones really move up. Exciting!


That's right. It's actually real. So, what does that mean for the Cubs, now that they have Stroman?

  • It provides a much-needed ace that is athletic and detail-oriented. Sure, he's not the high-strikeout, upper-90s pitcher like what would be *ideal*, but who can deny the fact that Stroman is a good pitcher?
  • A groundball specialist. These kinds of pitchers are good; the type that makes you groundout or strikes you out. The only problem with that is that the Cubs don't have a gold glove infield. So, I think it's time the Cubs upped their defense to help Stroman out.
  • A leader who can help the younger pitchers. He is obsessed about pitching mechanics, grips, etc., and that can easily rub off and help the younger pitchers. I'm looking forward to some mentorship going on.
  • In short, a top-tier pitcher. Just a reminder of his 2021 stats: 3.02 ERA and a 3.4 WAR in 179 IP. Pretty good, eh? How about this: 50.8% GB rate and a 21.6% K rate. Threw seven different pitches in 2021. I'm excited to have him on the Cubs!
Ok. I got so excited that the Cubs actually signed Stroman that I almost forgot about their other signing: Michael Hermosillo.

 

For those of you unfamiliar with this situation, the Cubs non-tendered Hermosillo on Tuesday, and then on Wednesday agrees to a 1-year, $600K deal. I like it and am puzzled by it all at the same time. 

Here's a couple tidbits on it:

  • Despite only hitting .194/.237/.500(!), he publicly announced he knew he could do better and hoped he'd shown the Cubs enough of that potential. I saw his potential, but when I saw the Cubs non-tender him, I assumed that would be the end of that.
  • But there is so many upsides, it's hard to miss. The .500 slugging percentage is crazy, and really shows his power. He has great speed and defense to add to that power, which really makes him a great player when at his full potential.
  • The interesting part about this is that the Cubs now have 6 outfielders with 2 possibly moving up during the season. It is as follows: Happ, Ortega, Heyward, Ramirez, Frazier, and Hermosillo. Now, I see it fine to have 5 or so outfielders, which means one of them are probably not going to get in.
  • As to who that would be, I would say it must be Ortega. He did well in 2021, and with no guarantee that he will perform as well in 2022, their best option might be to trade him.
Anyway, now the Cubs are at least set for outfield and basically pitching. Infield such as shortstop and third are still in the air, so the Cubs will still have moves to make there after the lockout.

That's all for now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Articles Coming Again to Cubbies Gazette?

It's been awhile Cubs fans. I've been pretty active on Twitter, so if you haven't yet, give me a follow there. There's plenty of Cubs blogs out there, with my personal favorite being Bleacher Nation. So I don't intend to just repeat or say the same things others are saying, but I want to provide my thoughts on certain things that might differ or be new to Cubs fans.  Basically, I want to write brief articles on different Cubs related topics that might be new or original. This is just a hobby for me, so don't expect articles every single day. I'll also be sharing some thoughts of others from Twitter that I found interesting. If you're interested in writing for Cubbies Gazette, DM me on Twitter or email me at cubbiesgazette@gmail.com. Thanks for all of your support on Twitter, and as always, GO CUBS GO!

Reliving the Cubs' 2016 Postseason Highlights

 As we enter the final stretch for baseball in 2021- a Braves/Astros World Series, it's a good time to look back at memorable Cubs' history in 2016, when the Cubs broke a 108 year WS win drought to beat the Indians in the World Series. The Cubs cruised to a 103-58 standing at the end of the season, getting the NL Central pennant and meaning they'd face the winner of the Wild Card, who ended up being the Giants. Game One of the NLDS Jon Lester threw 8 shut-out innings, Chapman closed the 9th with a shut-out against the Giants and Javier Baez solo-homered in the 8th to give the Cubs a 1-0 win against the Giants and get the 1-0 series lead. Game Two of the NLDS Kyle Hendricks started the game, only allowing 2 runs, and he drove in 2 runs himself in the 2nd with a single, but he left the game in the 3rd due to a line-drive injury. Reliever Travis Wood replaced Hendricks, and hit a home run, yes a home run in the 4th to give the Cubs a 5-2 lead. That was the first homer to be hi...

Cubs Sign A 1-Year Deal With OF Clint Frazier

 After signing free agent Yan Gomes, the Cubs will be signing OF Clint Frazier to a 1-year deal, sources say. The Cubs are closing in on a 1 yr deal with Clint Frazier, source tells ESPN. Was released by the Yankees recently. — Jesse Rogers (@JesseRogersESPN) November 30, 2021 Here's some bullets on Frazier: While in 2021 he hit .186/.317/.317 with a 83 wRC, he hit .267/.394/.511 with a 149 wRC in 2020. So, he has a career of good hitting, with being a consistently above-average hitter. His strikeout rates hover between 27% and 30%, so not great, but not terrible. However, he had a 14.7% BB rate in 2021, and has been pretty consistently around there. So, the walks are a definite plus. He had a 41.5% HardH rate in 2021, with a max EV of 111.5 MPH in 2021, so he's a guy that really hits the ball hard. He plays mainly in left field and right field, though he has experience in center as well. He's a solid defender who can hit well, so overall a pretty good signing. One wonders...